It’s that time of year again…Time to start counting down the days until Christmas day when you’ll finally get to find out what Santa has left under your tree. For many children, it’s a magical event they look forward to every year without fail. But how should parents teach their kids about the true meaning of Christmas? What are some life lessons we can teach our children this holiday season?
Here are some top parenting tips to consider:
- Show your kids how to give back. Santa isn’t the only one that brings gifts on Christmas day, so why not teach them about giving and receiving? If they see you helping those less fortunate throughout the year, it will help instill a sense of empathy and a good work ethic in them. Set an example by being a giver yourself!
- Start a new family tradition. If your child is old enough to understand, it might be time for you to start a new family tradition! For instance, if your child loves baking cookies and giving them as gifts during the holidays, why not do that this year? It’s important to teach children about gratitude and sharing with others – making memories is another great life lesson
- Don’t push kids into buying gifts for friends. Yes, teaching children about the importance of sharing, giving, and receiving is important. If your child wants to get something for one or more of their friends this year, let them do it on their own! It’s a great opportunity for them to learn about buying gifts for others
- Encourage kids to make some of the gifts. Remember how much joy it gave you as a kid when mom or dad made something just for you? This is also another great life lesson about giving and receiving!
- Did you know that according to the U.S. Census Bureau, almost 70% of children live in homes where they receive no Christmas gifts? If your child can give up some toys or clothes this year, why not donate them to those less fortunate so they can have a better holiday season as well?
- If you’re buying a gift for someone else, ask them what they want versus just going out and getting something. Let your child see that it’s better to put thought into a present than just tossing money at the first thing that catches their eye!
If you want to teach your child about the true meaning of Christmas this year, then try following these parenting tips. Not only is it a great way to introduce them into the holiday spirit, but who knows? Maybe they’ll enjoy giving more than receiving!